ChatGPT, the cutting-edge language model developed by OpenAI, has sparked plenty of conversation since its release. While it’s uncertain whether ChatGPT will eventually take over Google, one thing is for certain: there are already powerful ChatGPT chrome extensions available for users. Today, we’ll be diving into the most powerful one of these extensions: “ChatGPT for Google.” We will explain what this extension offers, and how you can utilize it to make it a valuable tool. Whether you’re an AI enthusiast or a normal person, this might be a must-have extension for you.
If you are on this page, you should be already familiar with what ChatGPT is, but for those of you who run into this post coincidentally while surfing the internet and don’t know what it means: ChatGPT is a fresh artificial intelligence-supported tool that is capable of generating human-like text. With that, you can converse on any topic you choose and be impressed by the quality of its responses. If you still don’t use it, you are missing a lot.
ChatGPT vs Google
People who are affected by the power of this language model started to discuss whether it will replace the giant tech company Google. Companies have a lifecycle just like normal people do. And irrespective of their size and success, it is not unfamiliar to them to disappear. Only time will tell the truth, though.
It is understandable why some may question if ChatGPT has the potential to replace Google, as it offers its own unique advantages. While Google excels at providing millions of relevant webpage results based on its algorithms, ChatGPT offers an even more efficient solution by providing direct answers to user inquiries without the need to sift through numerous website pages. So, it is likely that this comparison will persist for some time
ChatGPT Chrome Extension
To fully utilize the capabilities of ChatGPT while performing searches on search engines like Google, some developers have created Chrome extensions that integrate ChatGPT. Although there are several options available, we will be highlighting the most powerful ChatGPT Chrome extension in this post. By the end of this article, you will know how to add and use this extension on your Chrome browser, making your search experience much more efficient.
ChatGPT for Google
The extension we will be discussing is called “ChatGPT for Google” and can be found on the Chrome Web Store. At the time of writing this post, it boasts a large user base of 400,000 and an impressive rating of 4.5 stars out of 5, indicating its popularity and wide range of user satisfaction.
The overview section of this extension states that it allows for the display of ChatGPT responses alongside standard search engine results e.g Google. This means that when using this extension on Google Chrome, you will have the opportunity to view both ChatGPT’s response to your search query and the results provided by a search engine.
It features the following list:
- Supports all popular search engines: The extension boasts the capability to work with all major search engines. It currently supports Google, Baidu, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Brave, Yahoo, Naver, Yandex, Kagi, and Searx.
- Access ChatGPT from the extension popup: The extension provides easy access to ChatGPT through a convenient popup feature, allowing you to quickly navigate to the ChatGPT interface.
- Markdown rendering: The extension utilizes a popular and efficient rendering technology, called Markdown, to facilitate easy formatting of text input for users.
- Code highlights: It has a code highlighting feature that makes the provided code easy to read and understand by highlighting important elements.
- Dark mode: For those who prefer a darker interface, this extension also offers a dark mode option.
- Feedback to improve ChatGPT: This extension allows for easy feedback on the responses of ChatGPT, with the option to provide feedback through the use of like or dislike buttons located on the side screen while using search engines.
How to Add To Google Chrome?
Adding the extension to Google Chrome is a straightforward process, similar to adding any other extension. Simply navigate to the related page on the Google Web Store, and click the “add” button. The extension will be added to your browser within a matter of seconds.
Once the extension is added, if you are not already logged in to your ChatGPT account, a prompt will appear in the extension popup asking you to log in and complete the Cloudflare check. Login ChatGPT.
Once the login process is completed, the extension is ready to use. You can test it by searching for something on your search engine, you will see a section on the right side of the window displaying ChatGPT responses to your search queries. By default, the extension automatically displays ChatGPT’s response each time you perform a search on a search engine.
How to change trigger options?
By default, the extension automatically triggers and sends your query to ChatGPT every time you search for something. However, if you prefer having more control over when it is triggered, you will need to change its settings.
It is very simple. In the extension pop-up screen, head over to the settings icon. It will open a new window where you can customize a few settings.
- Trigger mode: There are “always”, “when a query ends with a question mark (?)”, and “manually” options. Choose the one that best suits your preference
- Theme: The settings offer options for the color of the theme, including “auto”, “light”, and “dark” which you can choose from based on your preference.
- Language: The settings also include an option to select the preferred language, however, it’s important to note that not all languages may be currently available. You may select your preferred language accordingly or you can choose “auto” to let the extension automatically detect the language you use.
How to use ChatGPT For Google?
Once you have added this extension to Google Chrome, there is no additional effort required on your part. Simply continue using search engines as you normally would. The extension will automatically display ChatGPT’s responses alongside traditional search engine results when you perform a search. This is extremely useful as it allows you to take advantage of both Google and ChatGPT at the same time while searching for answers.
For example, if you were to search for the phrase “What’s is inflation?” on Google Chrome with the ChatGPT extension added, the browser would present the following results.
As you can see, on the right side of the window, you will see the result from ChatGPT explaining what ChatGPT is and alongside it, you will see the standard websites that Google believes are the most relevant to your search query.
By having both results displayed, you can access them more quickly, saving time by not having to scroll through multiple websites searching for your answer. Additionally, you can gain different perspectives by seeing the results from both the search engine and ChatGPT.
Another example: Let’s say that you want to search for: How to reverse a given string in Python language?
ChatGPT quickly provides an answer to your question by highlighting the relevant code section, while Google directs you to relevant websites.
If you prefer to have more control over when ChatGPT provides results, you can change the trigger option to “Manual” in the settings. This way, you will be able to decide when to ask ChatGPT. After making this change, you will see a screen similar to the following:
To view the answer in this case, simply click on the section located on the right side of the browser.
- ChatGPT is an extremely useful artificial intelligence, so much so that it is currently being debated whether it will replace Google in the future.
- Thanks to the mentioned Chrome extension, you can take advantage of ChatGPT while still using standard Google search.
- To do so, all you need to do is head over to the Chrome Web Store and add the extension to your browser. You will need to log in to your ChatGPT account in order to use the extension.
- Once it’s added, you can continue using search engines as you normally would and the extension will provide you with ChatGPT answers alongside Google search results, saving you time by not having to navigate through multiple websites unnecessarily.
Have a good day with ChatGPT!